We are a coalition of taxpayers, commuters, environmentalists, and neighbors uniting against the construction of State Highway 45 SW. Our primary objections are that the highway:
* Will Clog Mopac: Building State Highway 45 Southwest will bring
inter-state traffic to South Mopac, changing South Mopac from an already-congested local commuter road into a gridlocked, noisy western loop.
* is Fiscally Irresponsible: TxDOT is broke, and our local funding sources are running dry. It makes no sense for Travis County taxpayers to spend $100 million on a road that will service Hays County commuters when we have so many needs elsewhere.
* Promotes Sprawl: Central Texas is already close to reaching Ozone non-attainment status. More sprawl into the exurbs will exacerbate our existing air quality problems, pave over ranch lands and wildlife habitat, and create adverse financial and medical impacts.
* Pollutes Our Aquifer: Decade after decade, our community has reaffirmed its commitment to preserving and protecting Barton Springs and the Edwards Aquifer. Building a road directly over the recharge zone and Flint Ridge Cave will lead to groundwater pollution and habitat degradation.
* has Better Alternatives: Several alternatives analyzed by our traffic engineer prove to be more cost-effective and provide more broad-based benefits than SH 45 SW. Completing the flyovers at I35 and Ben White, expanding and straightening FM 1626/Manchaca, and implementing passenger rail service on the Union Pacific rail line are all superior solutions. Building SH 45 SW would provide only small and short-lived benefits to Brodie Lane commuters while severely worsening congestion for many more who currently use South Mopac.
We urge all citizens and our elected leaders to unite against this road and pursue alternatives to further sprawl and traffic congestion.
We need another 999 signatures so that we can Stop SH 45 SW.
Become a 'supporter' by wearing the badge opposite or sign the petition to make your voice heard.
Does this cause contain offensive or libellous content? Click here to report this cause.
Wear and promote the "Stop SH 45 SW!" badge.
How do I wear the badge? It's simple. Just copy and paste the code below and put in into your homepage, blog or MySpace profile.
Even better, you can put in your friends comments to make them aware of your cause! All the badges lead back to this page so your cause gets the support it needs.
Stop SH 45 SW! Badge:
Stop SH 45 SW! Text Link: